The ‘ber months have arrived. SeptemBer, OctoBer, NovemBer… Christmas is next! I’m embarrassed that I’m still in the midst of posting about our 2018 Christmas trip when the next Christmas is just around the corner. Anyway, I hope you’ll find some inspiration in the next few posts especially if you’re thinking of visiting Austria this advent season…
The moment we came back down from our visit to the Hohensalzburg Fortress, we excitedly marched into the charming Residenzplatz Christmas Market. This was the Christkindlmarkt that I was most looking forward to.
It is adjacent to the Salzburg Cathedral which made the market even more special. The market actually has two parts, one beside the church (Residenzplatz) and the other in front of it (Domplatz).
It is where I bought most of my pretty little ‘houses’ to add to my Christmas village back home in Singapore.
I think that compared to the other markets that we’ve been to, this one had the prettiest collection of Christmas crafts.
I regret not getting one of these enchanting globes. My husband was very supportive actually and was encouraging me to have a few more items from the market. He ended up buying me an additional suitcase the following day.
In between shopping, we munched on grilled bratwurst and sweet crepe and paired them with Gluhwein and Kinderpunsch. It was very cold according to the boys and that they needed a few cups of hot chocolate each, but I was literally sweating underneath my few layers of clothes and on my forehead. Ah, the very possible hazard of shopping I suppose hahah…
After the Christmas market, we had time to check out the lighted streets of the Old Town and buy the intriguing Mozart Balls. We planned for a Sachertorte dessert at Hotel Sacher which was just across the river, but we somehow let ourselves get caught up in the moment, and continued wandering along the cobbled streets of the Old Town.
Here are the other posts from our Bavaria and Austria Christmas holiday
- Munich: Start of our family’s tales from last winter
- Munich: Viktualienmarkt Biergarten
- Munich: BMW Museum and BMW Welt
- Munich: Theatine Church and Odeonplatz
- Munich: Christmas Markets
- Munich: Hofbrauhaus Beer Hall
- Munich: City Aparthotel München
- Salzburg: Birthplace of Mozart and Silent Night
- Salzburg: Hohensalzburg Fortress
- Salzburg: Salzburg Cathedral
- Salzburg: Silent Night 200 at Salzburg Museum
- Salzburg: Silent Night Tour by Bob’s Special Tour
- Salzburg: Silent Night at Oberndorf and Laufen
- Salzkammergut: Road Trip to Hallstatt
- Salzkammergut: St Wolfgang Christmas Market